Summer is right around the corner—are you and your vehicle ready to take on the roads ahead? Below are some tips for safer driving and a guide to important summertime car maintenance in Everett, WA.
Vehicle safety checklist
Whether you’re heading out on a weeklong road trip with friends or planning weekend day adventures with your family, be sure you can scratch the following items from your vehicle maintenance checklist:
- Tires: No matter how often you drive or how much your car weighs, it’s important to check tire air pressure and tread wear periodically throughout the summer months. Let the tires cool down, then measure the pressure in each tire (and don’t forget the check the condition of the spare). Look on the inside door frame or in your owner’s manual for the correct pressure for your vehicle. Inspect the tread for signs of uneven wear, total wear, balding or other damage.
- Lights: Make sure all the lights on the inside and outside of your vehicle are functioning properly. Here’s a list of exterior lights you need to check: headlights, turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers and trailer hitch lights. Inside, check dome lights, dashboard lights, the glove box and any lights on the doors’ panels.
- Air conditioning system: It’s no fun being in a car without working air conditioning during the hot summer months. The heat can affect your health and threaten the lives of people who are sensitive to heat, like children and elderly individuals. Check and test AC performance before summer is in full swing or before you have a road trip coming up.
- Fluid levels: It’s crucial to check your vehicle’s fluid levels periodically. Your pre-season fluid check should include the motor oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering and windshield washer fluid. Make sure each fluid reservoir is full to its marker with clean liquid. Take your car to the mechanic if you notice signs of fluid leakage or damage to a reservoir.
Summer driving tips
How would you rate your ability to drive safely? Are you ready for whatever summer throws your way? Keep these tips in mind:
- Be mindful of others on the road: Warmer weather attracts people outdoors to the roadways and sidewalks. Bicyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists and other motorists all have the same rights and responsibilities as you, and everyone must be mindful of each other.
- Use the visor: Sun glare is harsher in the bright summertime. Even if you’re wearing sunglasses, flip and lower your visor so you’re not blinded by glare while behind the wheel.
- Swear off distracted driving: Distracted driving is an all too real problem. Some things that can take your attention away from driving include texting, cell phone use, eating and focusing on passengers. If you must acknowledge a distraction while behind the wheel, pull over and stop in a safe place to do so.
If you need to schedule a preventative maintenance checkup, contact the pros at Auto Truck Service Inc. You can always trust us with important checks and car maintenance in Everett, WA. Reach out today to schedule your appointment!
Categorised in: Vehicle Maintenance