Your car’s heater is essential this time of year to ensure you stay nice and toasty while you’re cruising down the road. But if an unpleasant smell comes out of the vents when you flip the heat on, you might consider being chilly instead of bombarding your nostrils with an awful aroma!
Heaters and car components can develop a variety of different odors over time, each of which is an indication of a deeper issue with the car. Continue reading to learn more about each auto heater odor in Everett, WA, and what can be done to fix them:
- Maple syrup: The smell of maple syrup coming from your vents might not seem all that bad at first, but that smell will eventually turn into a sickly-sweet odor that can make you nauseous. Unfortunately, this smell is an indication that your heater core is leaking antifreeze, which is almost always an expensive repair job.
- Mildew: Anywhere moisture is allowed to collect and sit, mold and mildew are sure to follow. Though mildew growth is a problem anywhere, it’ll affect your nose if it grows in your car’s heater box. The first step to take if you smell mildew is to bring your car in for an inspection, because there’s probably a leak somewhere that’s allowing water to get into the heater box. A mechanic can fix that leak and dry out your heater box to get rid of that smell.
- Burning plastic: If you smell burning plastic or rubber when you flip on the heat, there’s a good chance that your blower is malfunctioning and will need to be replaced or repaired. But the smell of burning plastic doesn’t have to be an issue with your car’s heater—it could also be the result of problems with your brakes, clutch, vacuum line or a number of other components. Only a professional mechanic will be able to identify the true cause of the smell.
- Non-plastic burning smell: It’s not all that common, but leaves and other debris can make their way inside your heater box. If that’s the case, they can start to smoke and create a burning smell when your car’s heater is running. Be sure to turn the heat off and bring your car into a repair shop as soon as you can. Your mechanic can remove the heater box and clean it out to ensure your car doesn’t catch on fire.
Choose Auto Truck Service Inc. to fix the odor
Don’t just live with a smelly car heater—bring your car in to our shop to have it inspected and fixed! Here’s why area drivers choose us for all of their auto repair needs:
- Fast service: You don’t want to wait around for days on end with your car sitting in the shop. That won’t be an issue when you come to us! We can quickly diagnose the root of the smell and fix your car right up.
- Affordable rates: Though you don’t want to live with that nasty smell, you also don’t want to break the bank to fix it. When you choose the pros at Auto Truck Service Inc., you can rest easy knowing you won’t have to pay an arm and a leg for repairs.
Whether your car smells like disgusting burning plastic or nasty rotten eggs, be sure to choose our team at Auto Truck Service Inc. to address the issue. No matter which type of auto heater odor in Everett, WA you’re smelling, we can diagnose the problem and repair your car.
Categorised in: Car Repairs