How Often Does Your Car Need a Tune-Up?
You probably know when your car needs an oil change and when to add air to the tires, but there are other basic maintenance tasks that not as many car owners know about. Getting regular tune-ups for your vehicle is a must. This is the step where a mechanic in Everett, WA may catch any issues before they start, and they should be performed regularly. If you’re wondering, “Does my car need a tune-up?”, read on to find out.
Most older cars will require a tune-up every 30,000 to 45,000 miles. Check your owner’s manual to find out how often your particular vehicle needs a tune-up. Newer vehicles don’t require tune-ups as often as older ones. That’s because on newer cars, almost everything—from valve timing to fuel delivery—is controlled by a network of computers. This means that the check engine light will switch on at the first sign of a problem.
These days, tune-ups are essentially a basic inspection to see that the car is in good working order. Let’s go through each mileage signpost and what you should be doing:
- 3,000 miles: This is often when drivers bring in their cars for an oil change, although today’s vehicles can often go 7,000 or even 10,000 miles between oil changes. It’s also important to replace the oil filter, check the fluids and inflate the tires if necessary. It’s a smart idea to have the wiper blades checked as well.
- 15,000 miles: This includes everything above, plus an inspection of the fuel filter and cabin air filter. These typically need to be replaced at this point.
- 30,000 miles: At this point, the checks will include replacing the transmission fluid, along with flushing the cooling system and replacing the spark plugs’ PCV valve.
- 50,000 miles: This check also involves replacing other fluids, like transfer case, power steering, differential and brake fluids.
- 60,000 miles: This inspection is for the spark plugs, which have various components like the PCV valve and plug wires that may need to be replaced.
As you can see, there are many items to consider in automotive maintenance beyond simple oil changes. The fact is that although modern vehicles provide more warnings, an expert auto mechanic is still your best bet for spotting problems before they start, hence why regular tune-ups are so vital.
If you’re looking for an auto tune-up in Everett, WA, look no further than Auto Truck Service Inc. We’re a locally owned and family operated business with over four decades of industry experience. We provide a personalized customer service experience to ensure all your needs are met the first time around.
Our friendly and knowledgeable mechanics will get to the bottom of any issue you’re experiencing with your vehicle and get you back out on the road in no time. We offer a wide range of services, including general auto repair, diesel services, marine engine repair and custom machine shop services. Reach out or come see us today to learn more or schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Vehicle Maintenance